PDA

View Full Version : Is Johnny Depp Engagement a Classic Example?

Camella
01-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Is the Current Johnny Depp situation a classic example of what happens? As people probably know, Johnny Depp is currently engaged to Amber Heard. He has only been dating her for a few months. This is after being with Vanessa Paradis for over a decade and with two children, but never marriage. This brings up an interesting point because someone responded by saying that men do this all the time (date a woman for years and years and even set up a life with her, with no ring. But then the next woman he meets, he marries within months). What do you think? Is this a classic example of "why by the cow" or dating a man too long? Or are WE wrong for assuming that Vanessa Paradis is heartbroken or ever wanted to marry Johnny Depp? Is Johnny having a mid life crisis and wanted to marry someone half his age? Or is this an example of women waiting too long and wasting their "child bearing years" on a man who will not marry them? I know those are a lot of questions, but just wanting to know what people think.

http://img2-2.timeinc.net/people/i/2014/news/140127/johnny-depp-300.jpg

It's hard to keep a secret in Hollywood, and although Amber Heard was seen trying to cover up a diamond ring on her left hand on Monday, she doesn't need to hide it anymore – PEOPLE has confirmed that she's engaged to Johnny Depp.

"Of course they couldn't be happier to be engaged and excited to share the rest of their lives together," a source tells PEOPLE, adding that Heard has "told close friends" the news.

"Amber has really taken well to the kids and really enjoys spending time with them. And she's even taken Lily shopping on her own for some bonding time."

The couple, who met on the set of their 2011 movie The Rum Diary went public with their relationship the following year after Depp, 50, announced his split from partner of 14 years Vanessa Paradis.

He and the French actress and singer have two children, Lily-Rose, 14, and Jack, 11, but never married.

Heard, 27, who has said she's bisexual, was previously in a four-year relationship with Hawaiian artist and photographer Tasya van Ree.

The newly engaged couple are teaming up again on the big screen in the upcoming film London Fields, which stars Heard and features Depp in a cameo.

I will admit that I think they look weird together in that photo. Just as weird as people think Demi Moore looks with her "younger boyfriends." It can go both ways.

Camella
01-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Another article that discusses the questions that people had about whether Johnny Depp / Vanessa Paradis is as an example of a larger issue - why men want to marry some women and not others, even if they've spent YEARS spending doing what looks like building a life with some women.

I know feminists everywhere will hate me for posting the following article, but I want to know that people think. Let politically correct go out the window.

Why Some Women Aren't Wife Material

We’ve all heard — or perhaps experienced — a version of this story: man meets woman, they fall in love, date for a while, move in together. They frame photos, arrange them on the walls, pick out furniture, make a nest.

A few years on, marriage is on her mind. But she puts no pressure on him — he’ll ask when he’s ready, right? He doesn’t. She doesn’t push it. The relationship stagnates. Man leaves woman. Man swiftly marries subsequent girlfriend, leaving ex mystified and heartbroken.

This is what happened to Laura Hall, a 34-year-old financial adviser from London. Laura had been living with Douglas for four years when he walked out. ‘I just let the relationship drift on, hoping he’d pop the question in his own time. But he never did. I was devastated when he left.’

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/21/article-2063997-0EE0855500000578-377_468x286.jpg

If you are with a man who has lived with someone before and you want to get married, you need to say so and stick to your guns early on in the relationship. Make your wishes known. It worked for Gemma Jones, 30, a childminder from Kent. ‘I lived with Mark for a year and then I told him I wanted to get married. He was a bit fazed at first and came out with lines like “it’s only a bit of paper” but I explained that marriage was important to me and to my family, who are Roman Catholics.’
‘Mark agreed to set a date when he understood that I really wanted to get married and that I wouldn’t be happy if the relationship just carried on,’ she explains.
Research also demonstrates that men prize women who don’t cook and clean for them as a matter of course. As one man in the survey ungallantly put it: ‘No one marries a servant.’ It seems that men are attracted to women who are aware of their own self-worth. But nowadays isn’t co-habiting merely a sensible step to take before vowing to spend the rest of your life together?
Psychologists agree that moving in together is fine — as long as both people are clear about where they think it will lead. ‘Simply put, most men place marriage on a higher level of commitment than just living together,’ explains Block. ‘While women might think that living together is a step towards marriage, many men view it as a way of buying time — or worse, a good option until they find their

John Molloy is equally blunt. ‘The statistics say most men propose after 22 months. For the next three-and-a-half years, the prospects of marriage gradually diminish. After seven years, the likelihood you’ll get married is virtually nil,’ he says. ‘If you want to get married, statistically speaking, you should start to look seriously for a husband at 28.’
Molloy also advises a little lowering of standards. Some women never get married, he says, because they are simply too fussy. Of the women he interviewed who were about to get married, 20 per cent admitted disliking their future husbands when they first met them. ‘Of course, you should have standards, but it sometimes pays to give men a second or even third chance,’ Molloy advises.
Web designer Nicki Carter from Reading, who at 41 has never been married, worries that now she never will. She ruefully admits: ‘I was probably too picky. I finished with one boyfriend because I thought he wasn’t focused enough on his career. And I finished with another one because I decided he was too possessive.
‘In fact, he was madly in love with me, handsome, funny, well-educated and kind. He wanted to marry me but I wasn’t interested. I always thought I could do better and now I wonder if I was wrong.’
Joel Block argues that there is no such thing as perfect. ‘I think that women who are growing older as they search for Mr Right should reconsider. Would finding Mr “Almost Right” be better than a single life?’ he asks. For some it wouldn’t. ‘Some women just don’t want to get married. They aren’t the marrying type,’ Molloy says.
Whether Pippa is or isn’t remains to be seen. Certainly, she will have no shortage of eligible suitors queuing up to replace Alex Loudon and, at 28, she’s hardly left on the shelf. However, she may well be rueing the day that, dressed in that plunging, cleavage-enhancing scarlet dress, she allowed herself to be photographed being hoisted in the air by her ex-boyfriend Charlie Astor on the dance floor at the Boodles ball.

Do you believe in the concept that men drag women on as long as it's convenient, but when it's time to marry, they will hold out and ultimately only want to marry their dream woman?