PDA

View Full Version : Dating someone of other race

Gelsemium
03-05-2014, 09:05 AM
I know this sounds like a topic of other times, but I was wondering if there is still discrimination in some countries/regions, if someone will have trouble appearing at home with a partner from another race. Does this still happen or is it something of the past?

cookiesandcream
03-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Nah, it still happens more often than you think. I had two classmates from high school and the girl is from Korea and the boy is from India. They dated for about 5 years. 3 years was in high school and the other 2 was in college. But both their parents really disapproved of their relationship and they finally ended it a couple of months ago. It was really sad because I considered them to be my really good friends and we have all been friends since 6th grade. But nothing could really be done about it because both cultures and religions were so different and their parents couldn't come to terms with it.

MyOCDisMild
03-05-2014, 11:26 AM
I wonder if this is something that's more prevalent in different areas? I know the last I heard, Americans were considered close to being pretty open, but within these state lines there are some things that are more accepted in one region than the other. For instance, I've been in interracial relationships since I've started dating, and unfortunately that has been in Kentucky, where interracial and/or same sex relationships aren't generally treated with respect. But I have friend in California who's openly gay and admitted to moving there immediately after high school because it was a confusing time for him and he wanted as easy a transition as possible, something he couldn't get here in KY.

RomanAnthonysMama
03-06-2014, 10:44 AM
There will always be people who think segregation is necessary, but I can for sure say I am not one of them! People are people. We all come from different walks of life, and share commonalities and differences, and if two people can come together on the same page and find a connection, regardless of their racial background, then I don't see why they shouldn't let love grow and form a partnership.

Yanni
03-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Some people may have a problem even knowing how to approach or relate to a person of another race. There are just a lot of cultural differences from time to time. I recently read this on another person's blog.

On the 3rd day of my new job I met the most beautiful and sexy woman I have ever met. She is black. It was very brief and before I jetted out of the break room (where we exchanged around 10 words) she asked me my name. I responded and asked for hers. I have been thinking about her every day since I met her which has been a week and a half. I chat with her on google while at work randomly through out the day. I try to talk to her face to face as much as I can. We had lunch last Wednesday and I kept her laughing. I’m scared to just come out and say ” I want to take you out. Can I have your number.” What should I do? What are signs that she likes me in return? Would me linking our facebook profiles help?

Thanks,

Matt

Add that to historical drama and insecurities and it makes dating other races an issue. Plus there are people who want to preserve their culture and traditions, and are afraid that will be lost if you marry someone who doesn't have a clue about it.

gdp94
03-11-2014, 11:53 PM
Never dated someone of another race, let alone dated anyone (but that's a completely different story that I'm not going to elaborate on). I would like to though. Being Asian, I always feel like I'm being forced into the "Asian bubble." For example, all of my friends would say, "Oh there's this Chinese girl who just moved in on the second floor you should date her." And yes there is still discrimination because there are ethnicities that want "pureness."