PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Facebook to look for possible dates?

lindbergh
07-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Hi there singles, I would just like to ask if you use Facebook to find yourself a date. When I was back in college when Friendster was still the hit social networking site, I used it to find lots of beautiful girls. The only problem? Most of them turned out to be posers. Still, I managed to find a handful of decent dates. Lol.

Mayvin
07-14-2013, 06:31 AM
Lol, I have thought about that but unless they are a friend of a friend that that I have actually met in real life and that Facebook friend has actually MET the person I was interested in I would steer clear of it. After watching that MTV show "catfish" where this guy fell for this girl on facebook and she wasn't who she said she was, it has turned me off from doing that. You just really never know who you're talking to online.

AnnaU93
07-14-2013, 11:25 AM
I personally would never look online for a future relationship. I feel like if you look really hard in life then you will never find what you're looking for because you're so focused on finding the perfect person. I rather rely on life to lead me to the right people.
I am also the type that likes to meet people face to face so having that internet wall in between us would cause me a lot of stress and anxiety since we all know how many crazy people there are in this would.
The bottom line is that I wouldn't take this chance even if someone payed me.

Camella
07-14-2013, 02:53 PM
I know two people who got married after meeting on Facebook. Seriously. One of these couples are still married with 2 kids. The other couple divorced unfortunately.

I know 5 couples who met on Myspace. Two of the couples are married today. I don't really know what became of the other three couples.

The lesson I took away from it all is that it is possible to meet someone online, so you should be aware of that and how you represent yourself. Someone may be looking, so if that's important to you, try to put your best foot forward.

I personally would be afraid of someone lying to me, because it's easy to create an online persona of yourself (people making them selves seem different/better than they are in real life). I mean look at what happened in the documentary Catfish.

solosinger
07-14-2013, 03:42 PM
With today's busy world the on line dating would be a great place to start getting to know people, I believe. Sometimes when you meet someone face to face to begin with, you can get caught up in the physical aspects and not get to know the person. :(

There have been people who met in person and they still wound up with a crazy person. Meeting online and then maybe talking on the phone means that you get a chance to go deep and learn to really listen to the person instead of just looking at them.I can not tell how many times i have met people and I liked their looks and then later discovered that they had horrible personalities, While I realize that online dating is not for everyone, for me I rather like it.

I am a good listener and i remember if a person tells me different things at different times. Liars often do not remember the lies they tell. I know of people who think they know someone who they met face to face and then they get raped or sometimes even killed by people they have met "in person".
How can we really ever know anyone? Anyway? Just have becareful not to fall for money scams and the like scams.:)

While somethings just happen. More things happen because we had an agenda of what we wanted ,be it jobs,education or mates we must often go after it. When you want to catch fish you go to the place where the fish are biting and you put the right bait on your hook. But some ponds have different types of fish. Online dating gives a seeker a chance to "catch fish" outside of their local ponds. I say know yourself and go for what works for you. In my opinion, online dating can prove to be a good way to meet that special someone or hell just make a good friend. Nice conversation!! Thanks for posting

AngelicaNicole
07-14-2013, 05:40 PM
I used to browse Facebook for possible candidates but every time I would send a stranger a friend request, they would ask, "do I know you?" or "Have we met before?" It got really annoying and I don't understand why it is a surprise to people because strangers request me all the time and I'm not rude and say, why did you send me a friend request. So, I stopped that and if I want to chat with someone, then I would find the appropriate social network for that.

Lucy
07-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Oh no! That's not a good idea. It's not safe! I'd be really careful if any of you guys do that. Remember to be safe. Finding people online can be scary, and they could do something bad to you.

Trellum
07-18-2013, 11:52 PM
Hell no! Using facebook to meet possible dates sounds like suicide to me! I mean, you never know who is on the other side of the screen! There are so many fake facebook profiles and only G-d knows what those people use them for. Actually, I've heard of many cases of girls who have got raped by guys they met tru facebook! I'd not recommend it!

tech2d
11-15-2013, 06:20 PM
No..I would not use Facebook to find a date. There are too many unsavory people out there. I personally don't use online dating at all. I tried it a couple of times with bad luck. The people I met were not at all like the profiles that they posted on the sites.

FatesWing
11-17-2013, 09:05 PM
I personally do not use Facebook in this manner. However, I've come across lots of guys who won't send a friend request but will type out a long message of "Hey I saw how beautiful you look in your profile pic and was wondering if..." and from there it tends to go downhill. I know it's not fair to dismiss any and everybody who approaches in this way, but I guess I'm a tad bit bias when it comes to this.

heyhowareyou
11-23-2013, 06:19 AM
I did for a while, but what I ended up with with a bunch of extra people on my friends list that I never talk to anymore, of course not everyone you meet will work out.

sidney
11-25-2013, 07:15 PM
No, I haven't used Facebook for that purpose yet and I probably never will, it's just too risky and the likelihood of deception is quite great. I would only use Facebook to look for a person that I met in person and I will try to just befriend that person there and see how things will progress.

Denis Hard
11-26-2013, 12:06 AM
Definitely not. How many people post fake photos on Facebook? You can't tell but the number is quite high. I can't ask a person out simply because they're cute. No. I'm more interested in that person's character. On FB, you can't find that out by asking so I'd rather stick to making friends in the real world where I meet a person, chat with her and proceed from there. . .

TheViper
11-26-2013, 05:50 AM
I would never use Facebook to find dates for myself. Looking on Facebook for date is worse than a rejection for me. You mean to tell me that you can't even find a girl to talk to in person?

Now, if you got a girls Facebook after talking to her then maybe you can. Though, you have to ask why in the world she gave you her Facebook instead of phone number.

tech2d
12-23-2013, 09:02 PM
No...I have not nor never will use Facebook for meeting someone to date.

googoos0ng
01-09-2014, 07:29 AM
NO, no and no!!! I really can't stand people trying to hit on girls on facebook. Also many women do that i must say. It's just that i don't trust the web as a good way to meet new people, you never really know who you are really talking to and, most of all, too many fake people or profiles! i'm more for going clubbing or going out a lot and meet new real people, way nicer!

pandandesign
02-19-2014, 07:09 PM
I personally would not use Facebook as part of the dating site. One, Facebook is a social media meant to use to keep up with friends and family. Second, Facebook is used for business purposes, which is why I use Facebook more than keeping up with my friends because I personally don't like Facebook. I think using Facebook to meet new friends or look for other useful information or look for other people sound reasonable, but to be honest, I think most people who use Facebook for the dating process may not be the true case right there. I would be careful if I were one of those people who use Facebook to look for dates.

yvette4887
02-26-2014, 01:17 PM
I would not use Facebook to find a date. It might work for some, but I would not trust it. My cousin found her husband on Facebook and he lived in another state. She is Muslim and felt it was easy to mind a Muslim man using the internet. Actually my sister ex-husband who has converted back to Muslim found him a Turkish Muslim women on Facebook and they are getting married in April. I think if you are looking for someone with a similar religion or background as you then maybe it is for you. I have had men try to talk to me which I do respond back to an extent, but when it comes it meeting, I turn done the offer. But using Facebook is no different than using eHarmony, or other dating sites. I prefer to find a man the old fashion way.

ebby23
02-27-2014, 04:29 PM
I feel like Facebook is not the site to look for possible dates. Many Facebook users are picky about adding you as a friend. I have tried adding strangers as well and as Angelica mention, they usually want to know who you are and where they know you from. I can't really complain because I don't really approve anyone unless I know them. So I understand where they are coming from. In addition, I have never really been a fan of online dating and since watching Catfish on MTV, I would pass on looking for love via computer.

Peninha
03-03-2014, 09:19 AM
I met a few girls on forums and after that "first" step we shared our FB contact and we developed a virtual relation. A relation that starts on FB might happen, but it's something uncommon I think.

cookiesandcream
03-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Nope, and I probably never consider finding someone using the internet. I've just heard and read too many stories and even though some are quite successful, i'd rather not take the risk.