PDA

View Full Version : How Long should Engagement Be?

vida_llevares
07-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Hi.

I plan to have a long engagement. But, I'm also confused on how long should the engagement be. Is there such as a thing as a too long engagement?

AngelicaNicole
07-18-2013, 11:44 AM
It all depends on the couple's preference and what works for them. Sometimes people get engaged just to have that commitment and end up being engaged for 5 years or more because they are not ready. So, there is really no set time as to how long someone should be engaged but the typical duration of an engagement is one year. Personally, I would only want to be engaged for a year, then get married. That is ample time to plan for the wedding and save. If I have to wait longer than a year, then I wouldn't want to get married.

Mayvin
07-18-2013, 02:54 PM
It really does depends on what each couple is comfortable with. I think it's better to have a longer engagement personally then people who marry each other after dating for a month or something like you see with Kloe and Lamar yet they do seem to still be going strong. I think it's a good idea to get to know each other but if you've been engaged for over a year and you're wanting to get married but your partner has been putting things off then it's time to discuss that with your fiance'. And if they are STILL putting things off it may be time to move on. If you're having a long engagement for mutual reasons like to get your finances in order or something but if you have to nag them to marry you and that's why the engagement has been so long then that's not a good thing.

Fancy
11-18-2013, 01:22 AM
At least two to three years. I believe knowing someone fully is the most hardest jobs and considering that you don't always stay together you need to take two years just making frequent dates and visits. This way by the end of the two years you can congratulate yourself for having had one full year together without leaving each other. Noway would you spend a year and never know your couple better. And I don' think if you know your couple fully if their maybe issues attached in future.

friendly40
11-20-2013, 06:45 AM
Your engagement should be as long as you want it to be, l know couples that were engaged for ten years before they eventually tied the knot and l think its a good to wait a few years as you get to know your future husband a lot better before you finally commit. People assume that when you get engaged your going to get married straight away but that's just not the case anymore.

april84
11-20-2013, 06:48 PM
It really depends on you as a couple. I think a good engagement period is 6 months to one year. This time gives you a chance to get to know each other a little bit better and see if your desires and goals for your lives are the same.

pandandesign
02-20-2014, 01:40 PM
It depends on both people and how long will they commit before they want to get married. Some engagements last of a few months and sometimes they can last for years. Mine lasted for 3 weeks, which both my wife and I didn't want to wait for too long for the engagement. We would like to get married sooner rather than waiting for another year or so. It is actually up to the person whether or not he or she is ready for the official marriage. I would think no more than 2 years is the right time for most people.

Sofieb529
02-23-2014, 09:28 AM
I think engagement lengths are respective to the couple. They should take as long as they need because a broken engagement is better than broken marriage.

Peninha
02-27-2014, 03:31 AM
I agree with Sofie, there is no rule for the duration of an engagement, it's whatever the couple finds reasonable. In my opinion an engagement shouldn't last more than one year though at the most!