PDA

View Full Version : Best Period Drama Movies?

Yanni
11-20-2013, 08:53 PM
I really enjoy period drama. One of my favorite movies is the Mask of Zorro because I think it was a beautifully done period drama about early California and Golden Age Spain. What period drama movies do you recommend or foreign films that are really good for understanding other cultures?

pandandesign
11-21-2013, 01:10 AM
What is period drama? I have seen Mask of Zorro too, which it is ok considering I am confused about the storyline. I would like to know the meaning of period drama. Thank you!

Joao
11-21-2013, 04:46 AM
Pandandesign, a period drama, also known as a costume drama, is a movie or play in which sets and clothes are used to give the impression of a certain period in History. They usually involve a romantic or tragic storyline (because that's generally the tone of the books they're adapting), but it's not uncommon to find comedies or adventures, like the abovementioned Mask of Zorro. Gone with the Wind, Attonement, Shindler's List, Memoirs of a Geisha, Sense and Sensibility, Girl With the Pearl Earing, Dangerous Liaisons, Valmont, etc, are all good examples of period dramas.

Camella
11-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Great thread. One of the best period dramas ever made was Ben Hur. It's like watching an event, I think it should be required viewing in any religious or film studies class. It had the record for most Oscars for any film for years until Titanic and Lord of the Rings came out.

Pandandesign, a period drama, also known as a costume drama, is a movie or play in which sets and clothes are used to give the impression of a certain period in History. They usually involve a romantic or tragic storyline (because that's generally the tone of the books they're adapting), but it's not uncommon to find comedies or adventures, like the abovementioned Mask of Zorro. Gone with the Wind, Attonement, Shindler's List, Memoirs of a Geisha, Sense and Sensibility, Girl With the Pearl Earing, Dangerous Liaisons, Valmont, etc, are all good examples of period dramas.

Great explanation thanks. Costume drama is also another good way of putting it.

firelily99
11-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Last of the Mohicans was excellent as was Gettysburg. Schindler's List and Sense and Sensibility were also exceptionally well done. Really, there are a lot of them out there and if I wasn't so tired tonight I would have a big list. Period drama is really my favorite genre for movies - I can't get enough of them!