Thread: What is your opinion on music in the 20th century?

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb What is your opinion on music in the 20th century?

As we all know music has change dramatically over the decades. In the 20th century music has drastically made a change which to me is not good. Now days you can hear just about anything being rapped about on the radio; like shoes, candy, clothes, cars, white T's, money, wealth, drugs, alcohol, and it goes on and on. In today's time anybody can make an album and the radio stations will play it.
    But in the 90's music had more meaning, because you could actually relate to it. To me great music where sung by music artist like; Pattie, SWV, En Vogue, Maxwell, Sade, Janet, Toni Braxton, Eric Benet, Kenny Lattimore, D'Angelo, Brian Mcknight, Chante Moore, the young Brandy, Monica, and the list goes on. Even the videos were not as flashy as they are now, and they even made sense. Now its either their singing or rapping about something that never happen in their life and feel their audience want to hear that or they just trying to repeat what another rapper is talking about so they can be on the same level on ratings. It's like a competition to see what sells instead of sticking with your true craft and using that to make you shine.

What is your opinion on music in the 20th century?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Talking Yvettte, Girl.. I Know what You Mean!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yvette4887 View Post
    As we all know music has change dramatically over the decades. In the 20th century music has drastically made a change which to me is not good. Now days you can hear just about anything being rapped about on the radio; like shoes, candy, clothes, cars, white T's, money, wealth, drugs, alcohol, and it goes on and on. In today's time anybody can make an album and the radio stations will play it.
    But in the 90's music had more meaning, because you could actually relate to it. To me great music where sung by music artist like; Pattie, SWV, En Vogue, Maxwell, Sade, Janet, Toni Braxton, Eric Benet, Kenny Lattimore, D'Angelo, Brian Mcknight, Chante Moore, the young Brandy, Monica, and the list goes on. Even the videos were not as flashy as they are now, and they even made sense. Now its either their singing or rapping about something that never happen in their life and feel their audience want to hear that or they just trying to repeat what another rapper is talking about so they can be on the same level on ratings. It's like a competition to see what sells instead of sticking with your true craft and using that to make you shine.

What is your opinion on music in the 20th century?

Girl I know what you mean this music world today Lyrically speaking, makes it hard for me, an avid music lover to enjoy. So I put on music from other decades, including some of YOUR afore mentioned artists and enjoy. Thank heavens for You Tube!!
    Continue to Enjoy YOUR life

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, thank goodness for YouTube. I am always on there listening and watching music that seem like really music to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are so right about 20th century music. Some of them are not even good for air play. For most of these artist it is all about reaching the top of the chart and earning big bucks. They don't consider what they do as an industry that has influence on a lot of people and that what they sing can either be rewarding or destructive to the hearers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell me about it, I can't really listen to the radio any more and if I do (which is a lot to be honest) I listen to a radio station which plays old skool tracks from anything before 2005-06, the music of nowadays is not even really worth a listen. There's nothing original playing and its all saturated with sex, money and sex, its just all going down hill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Popular music seems more conservative the further you go back but I don't see any difference between the actual quality of music. There were also still a lot of bad songs in the 90s including music videos and lyrics that had the same poor taste and bad influence of songs now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the music produced is just absurd. Especially the lyrics. It's provocative and sometimes doesn't even make sense at all. But I love listening to new indie artists, I think it's brilliant what they're producing though.