Thread: Managers that are people of colour

Post Thanks / Like

Managers that are people of colour

For those that live in a place where white is the majority for ethnicity, do you have many or any people of colour in managerial positions?

An example is Barack Obama - you can't get much higher than that!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read quite a few opinions from Americans (as in, United States of, not necessarily like...continental America) that go something like...the cultural consideration for diversity can be reflected in how it took so long for anybody to consider a Black president, and they've yet to have a female president.

I like that observation (about how culture affects hiring, that is, not that any culture is racist or sexist in hiring...definitely not liking that part anywhere) because I was born in the Philippines and grew up in Indonesia. Guess which two nations I can name that already have had female presidents and vice presidents? Being politicians, and corrupt politicians, of course they get criticism and vitriol--but I've never heard the criticism that they shouldn't be there because they're women and it's unladylike to be a leader.

Which I think is odd, since there's apparently a stereotype of my peoples as cultivating diminutive women who suffer far more from institutionalized patriarchy than Westerners. So, maybe the reflection of the institutionalized patriarchy isn't a simple solid theory, although I do still think that culture and ethnicity just might influence gender politics.

Eeep, sorry if that's too tangential to the actual topic... here's something that might be interesting and more on-topic: http://www.shakesville.com/2012/02/g...black-men.html

A possible correlation between Barack Obama's election and employment rates rising among the demographic of black men--which I would guess includes managerial positions! Melissa McEwan called it evidence of "the value of meaningful inclusion".

Even if those doing the hiring before would never have admitted to being racist, there would remain some subconscious stereotypes that nudge decisions...fortunately, peripheral exposure to more diverse representation can subconsciously shift this subconscious bias closer to unbiased.