Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the longest time that you've been single?

Post Thanks / Like

What is the longest time that you've been single?

What would you say is the longest period of time that you have been single?

I feel like many people always look down on themselves when they are alone because usually life works in a way that makes us feel sad that we're alone because ironically all our friends are in relationships when we aren't.
    I remember how I was single for a few years while all my friends were in a relationship and the moment that I found someone one of my friends had a terrible break up. I have always found it sad that people who are single for a long time don't have that confidence about them because I've always viewed the ones who are single for the longest time are meant for amazing people such as the quote "the best apples are on top of the tree while the rotten ones get picked up first".

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah. Society is somehow biased in favor of those who are in relationships. However, I don't think there's any point in getting into a relationship just for the sake that you are not seen to be alone. That is certainly a wrong motivation of finding someone. The worth of a person is not distinguished in terms of whether you are in a relationship or not.

Also, I would just like to share. When you stop aggressively looking for someone, that's usually the time someone comes along.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been single from birth until I was 16. I could then say that the longest time that I have been single is 16 years. The next drought happened in college. I did not have a girl friend for two years during my second and third year in college.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been single my whole life, unless brief relationships in sixth and eighth grade count. Those didn't count as real relationships even when I was in middle school. The guy I "dated" in sixth grade was basically just a friend - we never even held hands. The other guy was so shy he wouldn't talk to me, so I ended it (as much as an eighth grader can end things, anyway) after a week. The only reason I "dated" either guy is because I didn't want to hurt their feelings by saying no.

I love being single. In fact, I still don't really like guys. (I don't like girls, either.) I'm not sure if I was born that way or something went wrong biologically when I was entering puberty, or what, but I've never been interested in dating. It's not that I dislike guys, it's just that I'm not interested in them the way most girls are. I've never met anyone I wanted to be more than friends with.
    My journey to a healthier me - http://ahealthiernut.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    I was single for a long time before meeting my boyfriend, almost 7 years if I recall well, lol. So yeah, it was a really long time! I had a great time being single tho, because I did everything I wanted... if I really felt like it I could just play video games the whole day without any kind of worry in my mind. Now all my time is taken by work, my family and boyfriend. But i'd not change that for anything in this world. I'm actually happy I'm no longer single... I missed the feeling of love and being loved in return.

By the way, I stayed single this long because it took me a really long time to trust men again. I was in a relationship that lasted nearly 5 years, but that man played with my heart, dumped me for another woman like it wasn't a big deal. I found that out on my own, he was such a good liar. After that it was so hard to trust men again...

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say my longest period of being single was roughly 3.5 to 4 years. After a really tough breakup it took me a while to rebound so to speak. Then later on once I was ready for a relationship I just did not find myself coming across people who were genuinely looking for a relationship. Many people I find, that are around my age, are more into "hooking up" rather than building a real relationship that will last.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    -Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    If you classify single as not having a steady girlfriend. Then the longest I've been single was about 5 months until my current girlfriend. I still went out on dates and talked to girls during my "alone time". Just never had a steady girlfriend during that period.

Post Thanks / Like
    The longest stretch of time that I have been single? Well, it was from the day I was born up to my 2nd year in high school! I found it hard to get a girl during those times. I was skinny and small and chicks didn't dig that. But then, I got my lucky in 3rd year. It was the first time I got a girl and the first that my heart got broken.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm currently experiencing the longest time I've been single. For me, it's a choice. Since 9th grade in high school, I'd been in some type of relationship -- where my college years being the most serious. After college and moving away from my then boyfriend, we broke up and I haven't gotten in a serious relationship since.

I feel like I needed time to heal and re-group, grow and improve. I'm still doing that, but I've recently decided to start dating again. I'm taking it slow because I'm at that age where I won't be dating to play around.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been 5 years since I broke up with my girlfriend and quit the dating game forever. Maybe none of you has ever experienced this but it was at the time I was in a relationship that I learned what true love was. I met someone else and we hit it off instantly It wasn't romantic 'love' but the feeling of "oneness" was so intense that I had to question myself if I'd ever felt that way for anyone in life. I hadn't. Soon after my then girl had to go to college and I severed communication with her. I'd rather stay single rather than deceive myself that I'm in love when in fact I wasn't.

Unless I find someone who makes me feel what I felt back then, I'll not get into a relationship again.