Thread: Music in your country

Post Thanks / Like

Music in your country

What kind of music do you listen in your country? You have a traditional type of music?

Here in Portugal we have traditional music, but I think we are most known for our Fado and Amália Rodrigues, anyone ever heard about this?

Post Thanks / Like
    I sometimes listen to music in my language, which is Chinese. I like classic Chinese music, which is one of my favorite music genre in Chinese music.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, we have our own traditional music here. I'm not big fan of it tho, we have a genre known as ''narco corridos'' and ''rancheras'', I totally dislike those two genres, the former for what it represents and the latter because it just sounds awful and for some reason it makes me feel so depressed! Some people might listen to those songs and think: ''ah, it sounds nice'', but ugh... if you guys knew what they are singing about! The lyrics of some of those songs are so depressing! That's one of the many reasons I just don't like that kind of music!

Here are some examples:

Rancheras y norteñas (better than narco corridos, but still depressing and disturbing :P):

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah ah, that's exactly the impression I had from Mexican music Trellum. You cannot despise your roots... :P

Panda, can you post here a song of Chinese classic music, I'd love to hear it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm from Manila Philippines and I'm not proud of our mainstream music. The popular local music you hear on the radio or on TV has no musical value, monotonous, lacks depth, has shallow lyrics and is full of remakes and rip-offs of other songs.

The underground music scene here though is awesome. Here you'd hear a lot of original, technical and diverse music. The independent musicians may not be rich or famous but they know how to play some really good, world-class music no doubt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I'm from the the U.S. so there is all kinds of music here. Rap, R&B, Pop, Rock, Country, EDM, etc. All these genres are pretty much popular in their own unique ways in the states. I think that it is cool that we have so much variety here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tweety23 View Post
    Well, I'm from the the U.S. so there is all kinds of music here. Rap, R&B, Pop, Rock, Country, EDM, etc. All these genres are pretty much popular in their own unique ways in the states. I think that it is cool that we have so much variety here.
    Well, with such a big country with so many cultures, it would be a shame if it wasn't. Being a musician myself I have to admit though, I envy the strong music culture going on in the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, here in Jamaica it is all about DJ and reggae music. I however, am not a fan of either. I don't play them and I don't listen to them because there are much better ways to make my day fulfilling. I love gospel music but even most of the ones song by local artists are heading in the same direction as DJ music, lacking solid lyrics and clarity. My favorite gospel song here would have to be those that are song in a negro-spiritual way.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds bad to be in Jamaica and don't like reggae lol! I am not a huge fan of Fado myself so, we don't have to like the music our countries are famous for.