Thread: Grow Tomatoes in Flower Pot

Post Thanks / Like

Grow Tomatoes in Flower Pot

I want to start getting into indoor gardening. I have a balcony, but some people do not even have that. But they don't realize that you can grow things in your traditional flower pot, including spearmint (for tea) and salad ingredients like tomatoes.

Anyone have more ideas of growing fruits indoors? I assume you need the right temperature, a gentle fertilizer like miracle grow, a sunny window, and a deep flower pot.

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s a brilliant idea, Camella. I have a large backyard garden but I’ve always been interested in learning how to grow things indoors, in case we ever have to move. I’ve started with bulb onions in my flower pot, but I really like the idea of the tomatoes. Thanks for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Camella, my dad has been growing tomatoes and chilis in flower pots for years! It's not as hard as you think, he doesn't even use a special fertilizer or anything like that. I guess he's been really lucky. I'd recommend you to go completely organic tho, since you plan to eat those tomatoes... adding the fertilizers you can find at the store can be really dangerous. Since most of those fertilizers are not supposed to be used on things you plan to eat in the future, some of those fertilizers shouldn't even be touched with your bare hands!

I'd recommend you to go organic, or buy your fertilizers at a specialized store... always making sure those fertilizers can be used to treat plants that produce edibles. I'm sure there are plenty of organic fertilizers you can buy at specialized stores. Just make sure they are safe for this kind of use.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a fantastic idea Camella. I have small garden in front of my house. I planted chilli, basil, cauliflower, and watermelon, but I never tried to plat tomato in flower pot. Generally I planted rose and cactus in pots. I am inspired to you and I will try for it, then I will tell you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've grown a lot of of plants indoors or in plants on the porch. For growing indoor plants like tomatoes stick to the smaller sized varieties and make sure you use a good sized pot. Peppers are always good in a sunny indoor location as are herbs like basil, parsley, mint, and chives. Before trying it check out some of the plant/seed catalogs beforehand, many sell veggie plants designed to grow inside.