Thread: Growing herbs

Post Thanks / Like

Growing herbs

Has anyone here ever tried growing herbs?

I have, so far I've been successful growing basil and mint I grow mint to make tea with it, but some weeks ago my mint plants were infested by red spider mites!! Gross! I had to treat them with a special oil. Growing your herbs can be a bit problematic sometimes, but I must admit being able to grow your own herbs can be quite fun and convenient, because there is nothing better than having fresh herbs to cook your meals with.

I personally love growing basil so I can use it to add some flavour to my salads I love adding basil to my chicken salads, because the salad tastes a bit different... like a bit more light, and the taste of the chicken doesn't seem so strong (which is good for me!).

I'd like to grow even more herbs in the future, but for now I guess I'll just grow mint and basil

What about you folks? Have you tried growing your own herbs? If yes, which ones? Do you plan to grow more?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think growing your own herbs and food is really a great thing to do. I think many people overlook the simple nature of doing this and forget how valuable it can be. I personally have only tried growing mint and tomatoes, but in the future when I get to move home I will grow everything I can. I'm very interested in growing different herbs and so I will definetely be trying this also.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that herbs are very important for our health and we should use in our food to keep away diseases. I have small garden in front of my house there I planted basil, mint, aloe-vera, green tea, and lemon plant. I spent gardener to take care of my garden and give water&manure regularly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do grow my own herbs both inside and in the garden. Mints are especially big for me, they are great for tea, cooking, and have many medicinal uses. Basil, cilantro, parsley, borage, and lemon balm are a few others that I grow although not all of them indoors. Generally I only grow multipurpose plants ie. used for cooking and medicinal purposes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't grow much stuff this year, but I've grown herbs most of the other years. It's always nice to have them around for either cooking or cocktails. And you can dry them or freeze them for future use. If you put the root ends of store-bought green onions and basil stalks in water for a few days, it should start growing new roots and allow you to plant them for longer use. Some plants that have a citrus scent also act as mosquito repellent.